Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Shopping



I hate it when I'm out Christmas shopping and I get all upset and angry with other people BECAUSE THEY ARE ALSO OUT CHRISTMAS SHOPPING!!!!

Do you know what I mean?

It is a totally amazing contradiction in a season that is supposed to be filled with joy and love, to get over-the-top angry with people just because they are looking for parking spots, or searching in the same aisle for presents for their loved ones. And yet, year after year, it happens to me.

What is WRONG with me?

So I asked God. "What is wrong with me?" And you know what He said? He didn't say anything! He just showed me a movie.

The movie started when I was a little baby. It showed me crying because I was hungry. Then it showed me crying because I needed my diaper changed! Then it showed me crying because I wanted to be picked up. Are you getting the picture?

Then, the movie switched to me as a little boy. I was upset because my best friend, Franky, had the cool new toy that I wanted, but my parents weren't going to get it for me.

Then, it switched to me in college. I was angry because I couldn't find a parking spot and I was late for class!

"Ok, ok! I get it, God!" I'm selfish. I think only of myself. I get angry with other Christmas shoppers because I really don't care about them, deep down inside, as much as I care about myself. I get it.

Each and every one of "those people" out Christmas shopping at the same time as I am has a story, a family, a mom and dad, maybe even children. And, most importantly, each and everyone is a son or daughter of God! And, for the most part, they care more deeply about themselves than they do about me. Just like I do.

So, do you know what? I'm going to be different! That's right! I'm going to be different the next time I go out shopping. I'm going to remember what its all about.

It isn't about me.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: